Who doesn't love a good potato vodka? I know I do. Potato vodkas seem to have a fuller mouthfeel followed by a slightly oily finish on the tongue that glides down nicely. YUM!
Did you know that vodka wasn't originally made from potatoes? It wasn't until the 16th century that potatoes made there way to the continent from Peru. Vodka was first mentioned in the 15th century and the debate is still on about where it actually originated - Russia, Sweden or Poland (but alas, that is another blog) and it was used medicinally in the 18th century. (More on vodka uses later)
At any rate, potato vodkas have been around for a very long time and I am so glad they have been!
i was recently interviewed for an article on potato vodka for Liquor.com and thought I would do my own list for you. (Read it here.) Here's some of my faves that I have in the liBARy:
1. Zodiac Vodka - Also comes in a black cherry flavor that is perfect for a Moscow Mule.
2. Woody Creek Vodka - Recently underwent a bottle design change. I personally like the old bottle design better, but the vodka is still the same wonderful juice.
3. Simple Vodka - Every bottle sold feeds people. This charity driven vodka donates a portion of every bottle sold to feed the hungry in the US. 1 bottle = 20 meals. Simple.
4. Iron City Potato Vodka - Small batch from Llano, Tx. Also makes a variety of Texas flavors like Pecan Reserve vodka, Hatch Green Chili, Spice Island, Arson River (Habanero), Ancho Chili and Sweet Tea vodkas. Can't get much more Texan than those!
5. The Countess Walewska - From the Francis Ford Coppola line and named after Napoleon's mistress. I'm sure that a great story in itself.
6. Gruven Potato Vodka - Nice value vodka that works great mixed.
7. 44 North - Excellent vodka that also comes in Mountain Huckleberry, Sunnyslope Nectarine, and Rainier Cherry in addition their Original.
Also worth mentioning but not pictured:
8. Chase Vodka - In addition to their original vodka, this British brand offers an Oak Smoked, Aged Orange Marmalade and Rhubarb Flavors. Worth trying them all.
9. Luksuswa Vodka - GREAT value and superb taste. Try saying that after a few drinks!
10. Monopolowa Vodka - one of the most known potato vodkas and also a good bang for your buck.
11. Blair & Boyd - The costlier option of all listed, but WELL WORTH the price. Extremely smooth - you'll think you're drinking water.
What's your favorite potato vodka? Do you know of one I should try?